THE 2014 PALMETTO SWAMP FOX WILL AGAIN BE THE SERIES OPENER FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN ADVENTURE RACE SERIES (NAARS) AND ALSO BE A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFIER FOR THE UNITED STATES ADVENTURE RACING ASSOCIATION (USARA)
The Palmetto Swamp Fox Adventure Race will be held on Saturday MARCH 15, 2014
The Palmetto Swamp Fox Adventure Race will be held in the Frances Marion National Forest north of Charleston, South Carolina. Racers will travel across land, swamp and water seldom visited by man since the elusive Swamp Fox, Francis Marion.
Designed to cover approximately 55-60 miles, with a finishing time between 10-12 hours, Solo racers and teams of two, three & four members will face some of the most challenging obstacles that nature has in this region. Racers will be required to plot UTM COORDINATES (Orienteering) to locate check points while KAYAKING/PADDLING (Approx. 10-12 miles), MOUNTAIN BIKING (Approx. 20-30 miles) and TREKKING/RUNNING (Approx. 15-20 miles).
The Swamp Fox course is lineal in nature but all points can be collected in any order within each element…
NOTE: Don’t be intimidated by this years listing with NAARS & USARA. Remember, all racers don their race gear the same way, the swamp is an equal victimizer and There Is No Such Thing As Can’t!
THIS IS A SELF-SUPPORTED RACE SO ALL REQUIRED EQUIPMENT AND FOOD WILL NEED TO BE CARRIED BY EACH RACER THROUGHOUT THE DAY (BIKES, BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT WILL BE PRE-STAGED).
ACCEPT THE CHALLENGE OF THE SWAMP AND PROVE THAT
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CAN’T!
More information to come…
- Hydration pack or water carrying system
- Mountain Bike (per person)
- Quality bike helmets (per person)
- Bike gloves
- Bike repair kit (spare tube or patch kit, pump and tire tools)
- Compass (per team)
- Whistle (per person)
- Waterproof Map Case (per team)
- All the water and food you will need for the race.
- Plotting Tool (per team)
- Your own Boats and associated paddling equipment.
- 1st Aid Kit
- Cell phone (per team for emergencies only)
- Paddling Gloves
- Bug Repellant
- Leg Gaiters
- Rain top (weather dependant)
- Warm top (weather dependant)
- Video camera (we would like to promo your experience)
1. You must render aid to any racer in need of medical attention. Time credits will be awarded to compensate for time lost while assisting. Penalty – Disqualified
2. No dragging the boats. You are financially responsible for any damage if it’s yours or if it’s rented. Penalty – 1 hour-disqualified
3. Bike riding must be done on the designated course. Off Limits roads/highways will be briefed prior to the race. Penalty – 1 hour-disqualified
4. Your team must remain together at all times. You will not know which points are manned. If you arrive at a manned checkpoint without your team, you will be asked to wait at the checkpoint until the remainder of your team arrives. Penalty– ½ hour-disqualified
5. Use of whistles is to signal if you need assistance only! (For emergencies only). Penalty – warning- ½ hour
6. You must recycle any trash that you produce during the race, absolutely no littering! Penalty– ½ hour-disqualified.
7. Cell phones are FOR EMERGENCIES ONLY!
8. Assisting other teams is authorized on any portion of the race.
9. You must carry all mandatory items as well as items given to you during the race. Penalty – ½ hour each item
10. You must wear PFD while Paddlng at all times. Penalty – 1 hour-disqualified
11. You must wear your Bike Helmet while Biking. Penalty – 1 hour-disqualified
12. NO GPS or electronic assistance. Penalty – Disqualification
13. All protests should be brought to the race director’s table. Race director’s decision is final.
POSTED ON JANUARY 22, 2014
Check-in/Packet Pick-up will be from 5-8 p.m. on March 14, 2014 at the BUCK HALL RECREATION AREA, DAY USE FACILITY, HWY 17 NORTH BETWEEN THE TOWNS OF AWENDAW AND MCCLELLANVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINA.
In order to start this event on time, all teams MUST be represented at check in on Friday night, whereby not delaying the start of the race. USARA/KanDo Waviers MUST be signed and turned in before being permitted to participate in the Swamp Fox. An additional GREEN INFO SHEET will be handed out at this time. We will begin handing out course UTM’s at 5:00 am at this SAME LOCATION race morning.
All racers will be REQUIRED to attend the pre-race brief at 6:30 a.m morning of the event. A safety briefing and overview of the race, maps, and specific course instructions may be given out at that time. REMEMBER, THIS IS A REQUIREMENT FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE RACE!
THE RACE WILL START AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE BRIEFING, Rain or Shine. The race will have a cut-off time of 7 pm. Winning teams will be based on the most CP’s accumilated in their classification in the least amount of time. For the first and after every 15 minutes a team is late to the finish line, they will lose 1 CP.
The “Post Race” party will begin at 7:00 p.m. with our MOST famous Shrimp Creole.
Creole for all racers. Guests are invited; however, Racers must be served first and then there will be a $5.00 charge for all non-participants who choose to eat. The awards ceremony will begin immediately after dinner, with 1st, 2nd & 3rd place awards being presented to the top three finishing, Coed, all Male & all Female, divisions. All other race participants will receive a finisher medal and will be eligible to win sponsor prizes at the party. (You must be present to win)
Registration Cost: Merry Christmas Special
Until December 26, 2013
Solo – $XXX.
2 Person – $XXX.
3 Person – $XXX.
4 Person – $XXX.
December 27, 2013 Until January 26, 2014
Solo – $XXX.
2 Person – $XXX.
3 Person – $XXX.
4 Person – $XXX.
Home Stretch…January 27, 2014 CLOSED March 8, 2014
Solo – $145.
2 Person – $250.
3 Person – $355.
4 Person – $460.
USARA membership is required to participate. One time license ($8.00) will be available at check in.
Method 1) Register through Active.com
Method 2) Print and Complete Kando Registration Form and mail with payment to:
PO Box 54, Springfield, SC 29146
Mail in registrations must be received prior to March 8, 2014.
NOTE: If you’re not providing your own boats, remember to reserve and pay for a rental through our boat sponsor, Coastal Expeditions by calling Mary at (843) 884-7684. She will need the Height & Weight of each racer…I know that’s a little personal but hell, by the time the race is over none of that will matter!
Registration fees, checks made payable to KanDo Adventures
Refund Policy; No refunds will be made 1 week prior to the race, 25% fee will be charged if canceled between 30 days and 1 week prior to the event. Full refund if requested 30 days prior to the event.
*** For additional information contact Steve Morrone @ (803) 292-1900 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BUCK HALL RECREATION CAMP GROUND
From Charleston, take US Highway 17 north to Buck Hall Landing Road (FS Road 242). Turn right to the recreation area. Buck Hall is about 30 miles north of Charleston.
McClellanville is a small town with no hotels or motels. Daniel Bates manages most of the McClellanville vacation rental homes and has helped with the race for the past several years. He is able to waive the 3 night rental minimum on most homes if you mention the race but does require two nights stay. These homes are first come, first serve, so contact him early. Also advise him if you are willing to share a larger waterfront home with another group.
Bishop Jerden Bunk Houses
Rev. and Mrs Handy have again agreed to allow all of our racers to stay at their camp bunk houses for $15.00 per person. So if you don’t mind sharing in the space, maybe sharing in some race secrets or some tall racing tales, the bunk house if for you and your team. Each bunk hourse has between 12-16 bunks with mattresses, all you need to bring is a sleeping bag/blankets and a pillow for you tender ones. Send me an email if you’re interested in staying there, that way I can keep a count on the beds needed and then at check-in just pay me with a check made out directly to “Bishop Jerden”and I’ll give you the directions to the camp ground…
Updated March 9, 2014
Funky Cold Medina Conway, SC
Victorious Secret Goose Creek, SC
CCOBB Taylors, SC
STAT Southern Pines, NC
Mike Dickinson Matthews, NC
Randall McRae Greenville, SC
Charles Martz Charlotte, NC
Christy Sneads Ferry, NC
2 PERSON CO-ED
Untamed Adventure Virginia Beach, VA
Koodah II Mt. Pleasant, SC
Tobacco Road Durham, NC
Odyssey AR/Blue Ridge Marathon Roanoke, VA
SOUTHERN dis-COMFORT Summerville, SC
2 PERSON FEMALE
No Man’s Land Lawrenceville, GA
The Flying V Greenville, SC
2 PERSON MALE
Zehn-Zarro Hanahan, SC
Two Adventure-Us Charlotte, NC
NCARS Duo Charlotte, NC
DST Kodak, TN
Trunk Monkey Salisbury, NC
Boffus?! Rock Hill, SC
Gung Ho Holly Springs, NC
Two Howler Monkeys Lexington, SC
Swamp Addicts Bonita Springs, FL
Road kill & Tooth decay Myrtle Beach, SC
Two Pieces of Scheide (2POS) Bear Creek, NC
Prarrie Fire Aberdeen, NC
Jeremy and John’s Most Excellent Adventure Simpsonville, SC
3 PERSON MALE
Padres Errantes Myrtle Beach, SC
D3GENERATES Charleston, SC
Donkey Punch Greenville, SC
Swampass Myrtle Beach, SC
Sons of Thunder Charlotte, NC
Who needs paddling? Charlotte, NC
Getting Awesome Charlotte, NC
Over Torqued Pinehurst, NC
The Golden Town Boys Conway, SC
3 PERSON COED
Howler Monkeys Columbia, SC
Howler Monkeys STZ Columbia, SC
Running On Fumes Myrtle Beach, SC
404 Racing Lexington, SC
Team Tardigrade Columbia, SC
4 PERSON MALE
Dream Team Charleston, SC
Almost Finished Charleston, SC
Knee Deep Summerville, SC
LockStrong JRC Seneca, SC
4 PERSON COED
tadpoles and toads Myrtle Beach, SC
Florida Xtreme Jacksonville, FL
Coming Soon, KanDo Store Tab with PayPal access to purchase things like the below…
- The 2013 Palmetto Swamp Fox tee shirts are on sale for $10.00 plus shipping while supplies last.
- The awesome Palmetto Swamp Fox Hoo Rags that we provided as Swag for this years event are on sale for $10.00 each plus shipping.
Courtesy of Brandon Cannon