October 6, 2012 SORRY THE SRACAR IS CANCELLED
The Savannah River/Augusta Canal Adventure Race (SRACAR) will reorganize into Advanced and Sport divisions once again to be held along the banks of the Savannah River and Augusta Canal. Racers will venture out into the Savannah River and surrounding areas to compile check points already plotted on maps provided to each team. Starting at the Savannah River Rapids Pavilion, racers will be required to bike down the canal towpath (12 miles), transition to canoeing (5-8 miles) and then to trekking/running/orienteering (7-10 miles), not necessarily in this order. While racing to the ultimate finish and post race party, racers will be required to locate checkpoints while overcoming strategic obstacles both natural and man made by utilizing basic orienteering skills, brains and brawn. This is a great race for everyone.
We will need a minumum of 65 racers for the SRACAR by 9-17-2012 to make it happen. Come-on, you know you want to do it!!!
- Hydration pack or water carrying system
- Mountain Bike (per person)
- Quality bike helmets (per person)
- Bike gloves
- Bike repair kit (spare tube or patch kit, pump and tire tools)
- Waterproof Map Case (per team)
- All the water and food you will need for the race.
- Team cell phone in a waterproof bag/container.
- Kayak, PFD & Paddle (solo racer)
- Canoe seat (3 person teams)
- Paddling Gloves
- Bug Repellant
- Leg Gaiters
- 1st Aid Kit.
Provided by the KanDo Adventures
- Canoes (Only for the first 32 teams)
- Paddles (Only for the first 32 teams)
- PFD’s (Only for the first 32 teams)
- Plotted Color Waterproof Map
- Laminated Passport
- Race Tee Shirt
- Goodie Bag with Some Cool Stuff
- Placement or Finisher Medals
- Prizes for Placement Teams
- After Race Feast
1. You must render aid to any racer in need of medical attention. Time credits will be awarded to compensate for time lost while assisting. Penalty – Disqualified
2. No dragging the boats. You are financially responsible for any damage. Penalty – 1 hour-disqualified
3. Bike riding must be done on the designated course. Penalty – 1 hour-disqualified
4. Your team must remain together at all times. You will not know which points are manned. If you arrive at a manned checkpoint without your team, you will be asked to wait at the checkpoint until the remainder of your team arrives. Penalty– ½ hour-disqualified
5. Use of whistles is to signal if you need assistance only! (For emergencies only). Penalty – warning- ½ hour
6. You must recycle any trash that you produce during the race.
7. Absolutely no littering! Penalty– ½ hour-disqualified
8. Assisting other teams is authorized on any portion of the race.
9. You must carry all mandatory items as well as items given to you during the race. Penalty – ½ hour each item
10. You must wear PFD while Paddlng at all times. Penalty – 1 hour-disqualified
11. You must wear your Bike Helmet while Biking. Penalty – 1 hour-disqualified
12. You must yield the bike trail to faster riders. Penalty – warning- ½ hour
13. All protests should be brought to the race director’s table. Race director’s decision is final.
Check-in/Packet Pick-up will be from 6-9 p.m. on October 5, 2012 at the Savannah Rapids Pavilion Dining Hall, (screened building next to the canal) at 3300 Evans to Lock Road, Martinez, Georgia. In order to start this event on time, all teams MUST be represented at check in on Friday night, whereby not delaying the start of the race.
Gear check will be from 6-7 a.m. at the Savannah Rapids Pavilion Dining Hall, 3300 Evans to Lock Dam Road, Martinez, Georgia.
All racers will be REQUIRED to attend the pre-race brief at 7:00 a.m. A safety briefing and overview of the race, maps, and specific course instructions will be given out at that time. REMEMBER, THIS IS A REQUIREMENT FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE RACE!
THE RACE WILL START AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE BRIEFING, Rain or Shine. The race will have a cut-off time of 3:30 pm. Winning teams will be based on the most CP’s accumilated in their classification in the least amount of time. For the first and after every 15 minutes a team is late to the finish line, they will lose 1 CP.
The “Post Race” party will begin at 4:00 p.m. with a BBQ diner for all racers. Guests are invited; however, Racers must be served first and then there will be a $5.00 charge for all non-participants who choose to eat. The awards ceremony will begin immediately after dinner, with 1st, 2nd & 3rd place awards being presented to the top three finishing, Coed, all Male & all Female, Advanced and Sport Divisions (Each division must actually have another team that they are competing with). All other race participants will receive a finisher medal and will be eligible to win sponsor prizes at the party. (You must be present to win)
Solo – $XX.
2 person – $XXX.
3 Person – $XXX.
Until Midnight 10/1 Registration closes October 1, 2012
Solo – $110.
2 person – $210.
3 Person – $275.
USARA membership is required to participate. One time license ($8.00) will be available at check in.
Method 1) Register through Active.com
Method 2) Print and Complete Kando Registration Form and mail with payment to:
PO Box 54, Springfield, SC 29146
Mail in registrations must be received prior to October 1, 2012.
Registration fees, checks made payable to KanDo Adventures
*** For additional information contact Steve Morrone @ (803) 292-1900 or email at email@example.com.
Savannah River/Augusta Canal Adventure Race
Savannah River Rapids Pavilion
3300 Evans to Lock Road Martinez, Georgia
Saturday, October 6, 2012 @ 7:00 AM
CANDLEWOOD SUITES (Kando HQ) - 1080 Claussen Road. Augusta, Georgia
Ask for the KANDO or Savannah River Race Rates!!!
Awesome place and Awsome Rates
Jameson Suites Augusta – Augusta, GA 30907
All the rooms are suites. Hot breakfast is complimentary. We have a swimming pool, 24 hour business center and 24 hour fitness center. Wireless internet access is available throughout the hotel for free. Each suite has a 32” flat panel TV, full size refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. We also offer Showtime and the ESPN sports package.
Days Inn, Washington Road Augusta, GA - 706-650-1311
Microtel Inn & Suites 2909 Riverwest Drive Augusta, GA – 877-733-1377
Courtyard by Marriott, 1045 Stephens Creek Road, 800-321-2211
AmeriSuites of America, 1062 Claussen Road, 706-733-4656
Sleep Inn, 1050 Claussen Road, 706-737-4512
2012 Teams UPDATED 9-14-12
Solo Male (SPORT)
Funky Cold Medina
2 PERSON MALE (SPORT)
Sparkle City River Rats (TM 3)
Buffalo Boys (TM 5)
The Beaten Path (TM 6)
Knott-Collins (TM 7)
2 PERSON CO-ED (SPORT)
Diligent Duo (TM 1)
Greene Team (TM 4)
Indy Gus Swampsters (TM 12)
WALA (TM 14)
3 PERSON CO-ED (SPORT)
AMA Racing (Against Medical Advice) (TM 13)
3 PERSON MALE (SPORT)
2 Studs and an Old Fart (TM 15)
2 PERSON MALE (ADVANCED)
Carolina CrossFit (TM 9)
Zehn-Zarro (TM 8)
Lexington Ski Patrol (TM 10)
3 PERSON COED (ADVANCED)
Hippomenes (TM 2)
3 PERSON MALE (ADVANCED)
Howler Monkeys (TM 11)